Skip to main content

The Ledges in Cuyahoga Valley National Park

This past weekend, we went to Ohio to visit my brother and his family for my nephew’s high school graduation. Besides the good company, food and conversation, we also walked through The Ledges in Cuyahoga Valley National Park, a collection of sandstone rock formations that were formed over 300 million years ago through erosion that created narrow passageways between moss covered rock walls. My pictures don’t do a stitch of justice to the vibrant shades of green and rich depth of the 30-60 foot stone.

While the beauty of it all was breathtaking in and of itself, it was the mind-boggling age of that stone that really affected me. To walk among such ancient things settles something inside me, makes it recline and rest. It pulls my vision from within to without—and up, reminding me of he “who rides the ancient skies above” (Ps. 68:32-35), who breathed over the void and brought forth light and life, laid the foundations of the world “while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy” (Job 38:7). Amazing.





(Images: mine)